Capital Campaign: Tower and Steeple Conservation
The Christ Church steeple dates to 1754 and is one of the few wooden structures of its kind still standing from the Colonial Era.
A cornerstone of Philadelphia’s landscape along the Delaware River, the Christ Church steeple was the highest structure in America for over 50 years. Since the Revolutionary era, the steeple has served as a symbol of revolutionary spirit and religious tolerance.
In 2016, Christ Church Preservation Trust conducted a steeple investigation and learned that the icon was leaning two feet to the northwest and needed structural support to endure for centuries more. The Trust then commissioned the architectural firm John Milner and Associates and structural engineers Keast & Hood to restore and rehabilitate the steeple and its supporting tower.
Phase One of the project, the interior restoration of the steeple and its supporting brick tower, was funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts, The National Fund for Sacred Places, The Raynier Foundation, The Crystal Trust, The Dolfinger-McMahon Foundation, William B. Dietrich Foundation and major individual donors.
The Trust is now fundraising for Phase Two, the exterior restoration, a $2.4 million effort.
Please help us conserve this national icon! You can donate here.